Saturday, February 12, 2011

Day 43 (2-12-11)



  Today was the first sunny, nice day in what seems like forever.  It was probably in the mid 50's or so but it felt warmer (I wore pants and a t-shirt).  We spent the afternoon at Wrightsville Beach because a) it was nice out and my only day off in the last 6 days and b) it was probably our last beach outing as a family for a while -- at least down here.
  The surfers were out in droves, and there was a considerable number of people hanging out on the beach.  A group of guys near us ended up running into the water for a cool down after running sprints on the sand.  I told Kris I might jump in myself - she dared me to, and I did.  The water was a brisk 45 degrees (according to the national weather center), and for the first 3 seconds or so, bitterly painful.  After about 3 seconds my entire body went numb and it actually wasn't that bad.  I felt nothing on my arms and chest, and the only thing that I could really feel were my feet.  They actually hurt.  Also annoying was that the surf dropped to about knee level about 5 steps in or so - and then rose back up to like ankle level for another 10 steps.  I had to go out a good deal to get to a depth where I could dip under the water... although I was numb by this point so it didn't really matter.  Anyway, it was a great day.

135mm
f/6.3
ISO 100
1/800

No comments:

Post a Comment